Sea Sheep

Sheep....  Those that comment without knowledge of both sides or worse, zero knowledge put their opinion out there. In all fairness, not everyone commenting was in full sheep mode, but they just add to the drama of the original post.  I really thought I was done with this on Friday until he referenced our incident, yet again.  Which then has me looking yet closer, at what we signed, agreed to, etc.

Let the Sheep Show begin:


TN:  Ok NOW you have my attention! I thought these were very laid back boring cruise and Putt around tours! Enlighten me please! I LOVE ADVENTURE RIDES!
ETA: it is an Amazing Bucket List Trip for certain! We have a 92% repeater program within 2 years!

ME:  TN, you are 1/2 right.  At times they are putt around tours, with a few twisties once in awhile.  The thrill and danger is avoiding pot holes and on coming traffic.    Now, the 92% repeat?  Man .. I just don't buy into that.  No doubt a lot of folks do opt for a second trip, but ours had ZERO repeaters.  I spoke to someone that rode it in '14 and they had zero repeats.  So, 92%?  Hmmmm.   Sorry .. I just don't buy in.



JAS:  Wow, that is incredible. I agree, why would you compromise the safety of yourself and the group. After 2 of these cruises, I can attest to the fact that you need to be an experienced rider and experienced passenger besides being physically fit! Safety for their guests is ETA's #1 priority.

ME  I believe everyone in a group ride should be an experienced rider for their own safety much less others.   Still, even experienced riders have crappy riding habits.  Too much spacing, can't turn on a dime, ride a bike too big for them.   Safety the #1 priority?  Hmmm.. of course it is and should be, but sometimes common sense should come into play.  And, physically fit?  You're kidding right?



EN:  Steve and company insure your safety and enjoyment. As a past rider I can tell everyone that we had the “Best and safest ride ever”. I am proud to recommend ETA for a trip you will never forget and always remember.    
SL:  Us too!!! ETA surely has timing down to a science. Enjoyed by all 

ME  First, it's spelled 'ensure'.  What's everyone's fascination with SAFEST?   I'm guessing folks were scared shitless at times and when everyone on the final day was unscathed, they got a rush from it all and deemed it SAFE since no one died?  Yes, I'm being sarcastic ...   It's just a ride .. SMH

  •  
LH: Rules are Rules but perhaps they didn't view their disability as a "disability" and wanted to be a part of this epic opportunity of a lifetime .  There was really no indication of what their "disabilities" were..it was merely a "perhaps" statement.. I know several people with disabilities who do not want to be viewed as "handicapped" in any way and a few of them still ride..but..Rules is Rules and lying is lying..
GG: Wow, Did he think every body else was going to wait on him and get his bike on and off and situated inside the hull? It is a team effort to get those bikes on, off and situated in the hull and one has to be part of the team. On the cruise we went on, there was on guy who didn't help out much until Steve told him to do whatever. By the end nobody was hanging with him.

ME: If someone has a disability, why can't they ride?  If you have a bad knee or hip, and ride a trike, what's the issue?  If someone has something else, and it limits them in some ways, but they are a passenger seated comfortably behind a competent rider, what's the problem?  



JM:  Hubby had a accident last May. Is trying to build up strength. We were booked for April and had to cancel because he felt he would be a hazard to himself and others. You have to be smart.
You could get hurt or hurt someone else. I ride that cruise. Loved it but it was challenging
 

ME:  Describe challenging?  Dodging pot holes?  Waving at the locals while keeping a hand on the wheel?  Avoiding the Road Captains buzzing past you?   



KS:  We've been on one of these cruises with ETA and Steve is not exaggerating. This isn't a trip around the block
ME:  Around the block?  Guessing you haven't been on my 'real' rides around this great nation of ours?



RF:  Wow. I am shocked at the selfish people in this world that think it’s ok to lie and ruin things for everyone else, just to please themselves.

ME:  And here folks, is a classic sheep.  I'm betting he wasn't there and doesn't know the back story on either.  Hell, I don't know the back story on the second incident which is why I refrain from addressing it.  However, after knowing about the first one, I'm guessing the second one is probably blown out of proportion?



BS: But everyone gets an award...we're all winners!
ME:  Funny shit right there.  No comment



SSC: True you need to be experienced
ME:   And that brings up a good point.  What is 'experience?"    Road Miles?  Group Rides?  Ability to handle one's bike?  Five or so years ago, ETA only required 3k miles under one's belt.  Now it's 5k after the '14 incident I'm guessing.  What if you have 5k miles on a Honda Rebel 250, and roll in on a new HD Sporty 1200?   The more I look into this all, the more it all has me shaking my head.  


 __________________________________________

My definition of Experience / Skill level needed for an ETA excursion.
  • Comfortable in Group Rides
  • Understanding of how to ride staggered AND single file. Understand the value/benefits of both.
  • Ability to handle one's bike on sand, gravel and grass
  • Comfortable riding on 2 lane roads with no shoulders
  • Ability to maneuver bike through twisties and switchbacks at lower speeds, which is more difficult than posted or higher speeds sometimes.  The group single file sometimes causes a 'traffic jam' in these scenarios forcing one to drop the gear down and enter curves slower than one normally would
  • Ability to turn the bike around 180deg (U - Turn) on a 2 land road whether in one move or a quick 2 or 3 point turn.
  • Miles under ones belt, recently.  Example, By the book, 5k miles over a lifetime is the requirement.  Huh?  Get my point?

 Now, this all being said, I think the scenarios described on the Islands are over stated.  I DO agree that riders need to keep it tight, to ensure cares don't intersperse with the riders.  Hate to admit it, but I slipped on this one.  While at a stop , I let a car turn from the opposing lane between myself and bike in front of me.  However, a car to my right then jumped into the fray between myself and bike in front of me taking advantage of the spacing I left.  Steve our Road Captain quick fell back and blocked the car .  Yeah .. my bad.    Want to know what you have to be good at?  Parking your bike.  Backing it up.  Why?  Because the majority of time, we parked two dozen bikes in a space you'd normally have a fourth of that many.   No big deal, but someone almost took out my front fender.  I'm a big guy and can easily handle my bike, with my wife on the back.  Not true for most.  Just Saying.  But exaggerations were abound about the scary switchbacks and twisties, etc.   Give me a break.  Sorry, I've ridden crazy roads in multiple states that will rock your world and have taken many a life.  The roads on the Islands? Nope.  But, there were some nice ones.  Nice views.  Nice drops down to sea level.   Nice elevations requiring some torque to pull up them hills.   But, if one has ever done a switchback or hair pin turn, they are fine.   If they are a good rider and never done that, they'll figure it out quick enough.   

 




  
You'd have thought this was what was in store for us with briefings! Reminds me of a run I did in Colorado



#etamotorcyclecruises

Comments

Rick said…
So safety is their highest priority. I think not. No meeting to explain hand signals, non of theirs are in the MSF handbook. The ride captains didn’t wear any high visibility clothing. Hard to see in the mirrors. Also they play chicken with on coming traffic then force there way into the group. Not to smart. Anyone who has lead large rides, Patriot ride, Rolling thunder knows that these are no no’s. #eta