Do narcissists devalue and discard their children?

"A narcissist does devalue and discard a scapegoat child. This is the child whose purpose in life is to carry the evil projections of the narcissist parent. They are the screen upon which the parent projects whatever dark thing the parent is or believes he/she is--a liar, cheater, stupid, worthless, lazy, crazy, a thief, whore, drug addict, criminal, dangerous person.

Believe me, they will do this no matter how crazy it makes them look. My mother did this to me throughout junior high and high school. I was a top student, well-liked by teachers, peers, employers and my pastor. I worked full-time from the age of 15, and was a member of National Honor Society. I didn't drink, smoke, attend wild parties, or date other than one long-term boyfriend. My mother spread, throughout my small town, that I was an uncontrollable kid, wild, mentally ill, a whore and a drug addict. It didn't do her any favors as everyone in town saw that she was nuts. I was sheltered, for a time, from her physical abuse, in the home of my town's mayor.

I was constantly told about lawyer appointments in which I was disowned from my mother's Will. I can't remember the events that inspired her to disown me, but it would have been for offenses such as not answering questions as expected or prodded to answer. I wasn't doing anything wrong. I simply wasn't fulfilling my role as the scapegoat child as demanded. I dared to believe I existed apart from my mother's requirements of me, an offense that would not be tolerated. I mentally and emotionally emancipated myself from this woman before I graduated high school. That's not to say she left no damage.

At some point in my early forties, my golden child sister disappointed my mother, and my mother made efforts to replace her with me. Broken toy that I was, she retrieved me from the trash heap, and dangled before my eyes all the riches and advantages that would now be mine as the golden child. All I had to do to win this lottery was join her in stabbing my sister in the back. I stopped answering her calls. For 17 years. You can just imagine the "discard" that was done to me during this time.

I was back in her life for a few years due to my father's waning and death, and my wish to see him again. My time in her life was not sustainable as I will not tolerate her abuse. So, I am, again, in the trash heap, which is where I prefer to be.

Yes, a narcissist will devalue and discard a child, especially a scapegoat child. They will even devalue and discard the golden child if the golden child disappoints them enough. But they are unlikely to stick to that discard unless they are able to replace that child with a proxy. The golden child is badly needed by the narcissist. My mother now has a "dear friend and adopted daughter" who is the age of my sister and me.

"

Comments