Why do narcissists deny the past?

My takeaway from this one?  "Narcissists feel like life is a movie about them."

"Narcissists create their own reality based on what they feel. Feelings are facts. I know it sounds crazy, but they do not understand that facts matter. They do not understand that something that actually happened in the past can continue to matter. It’s done. It’s over. They can’t see it. They can’t touch it. It doesn’t exist. The past does not exist. Unless it serves their current motive, the past is irrelevant. It is whatever they want it to be.

Think about it… why do facts actually matter? They matter because other people were there and other people were and continue to be affected by what actually happened. If I call you a horrible name and I hurt you, you will continue to be affected by it in the future regardless of whether or not I completely forget about it. To me, the incident has vanished. To YOU, you are still hurt. If I’m a narcissist, that is not something that I can understand. You do not have feelings. You do not have your own memory. You do not have lingering affects of things that I actually did. If I decide that I never said some horrible thing to you, then that is now a fact. Your lingering issues are a nuisance. You will be seen as a petty, annoying, vindictive, difficult person if you cannot play along and adopt my new reality.

You do not matter. Your memory does not exist. Your feelings don’t matter. What is the point of determining the actual truth of what happened if the truth now makes the narcissist look bad?

Narcissists feel like life is a movie about them. The entire world is nothing but a giant stage on which this movie about them is set. You are a character in this movie about them. They write the story. If they want to scratch out a few lines from the past and re-write them, they feel like they should be able to. The world revolves around them and their story. You are supposed to read your lines. You are not supposed to have your own story. Especially if it conflicts with their story. The actual facts of what actually happened do not matter at all."

Comments