7 Reasons Why Narcissists Shift Blame

 

Why they blame other people for things that are actually their fault. This is not meant as an exhaustive list, just the explanations I hear most often. Usually more than one apply.

  1. I have no system for internally dealing with being wrong that does not leave me feeling bad about myself.
  2. It relieves my bad feelings to find a way that shows everything that went wrong is someone else’s fault.
  3. I only see things from my point of view.
  4. I am only focused on my own pain and I do not really care about your pain.
  5. The quickest and easiest way out of a bad situation is to blame the mess on someone else.
  6. I convince myself that anything I say is the real truth.
  7. I do not usually notice or care about other people’s situation unless it directly impacts me for better or worse.

Punchline: People with NPD shift the blame for their mistakes onto other people so they can continue to feel good about themselves. They do not care very much about how other people feel.

Comments